ĐỀ SỐ 1
SECTION 1: Language usage (30 marks)
Circle the correct answer
1. In the long term ……….. is due to increase in the price of raw materials. This is the situation where prices rise to keep up with increased production cost.
a. devaluation b. inflation c. recession d. crisis
2. In a accordance with our usual terms, payment will be by …………This is a letter from a bank authorizing payment of a certain sum to a person or a company.
a. cheque b. banker’s draft c. letter of credit d. cash on delivery
3. We enclose our ……….., which is a formal request for payment.
a. receipt b. quotation c. commercial invoice d. bill of lading
4. The industry and construction ……….. is facing difficulties due to low efficiency and competitiveness.
a. set b. sector c. section d. part
5. It is complained that the Telephone and Post Communicatios Company is operating in a very favourable environment without any ………..
a. monopoly b. fluctuation c. promotion d. competition
6. We are proud of the very high level of services we offer and are accustomed to organizing conferences ……….. two thousand delegates.
a. out of to b. of up to c. from up to d. up from to
7. Sofitel Plaza Hotel has an excellent range of facilities and no doubt you will be aware ………. the fact that the local area is rich in cultural interest.
a. for b. to c. of d. about
8. When we receive your bank confirmation of L/C, your order will be made ………..
a. for b. over c. up d. with
9. Impex is an international company which deals ………. a wide variety of goods.
a. for b. in c. of d. about
10. A fall in prices can result in serious difficulties to many producers and may cause them to go ……….. business completely.
a. through b. out c. out of d. into
11. The MD asked Mr. Green ………..
a. that he had finished the report b. whether he had finished the report
c. had she finished the report d.if had he finished the report
12. The MD also wanted to know ………….
a. when Mr. Green will submit that report b. when would Mr. Green submit the report
c. when will Mr. Green submit the report d. when Mr. Green would submit the report
13. Would you like ………. coffee? Yes, please.
a. any b. the c. 0 d. a
14. The goods in this catalogue are of …………. excellent value. I am going to order some.
a. the b. 0 c. an d. a
15. The Sales&Marketing Department will be divided into two …………, a new Management Services Department will be created.
a. Furthermore b. Therefore c. Although d. Otherwise
16. …………the launch date is due, the new product is not ready yet. So, the shopfloor workers are working hard now.
a. Nevertheless b. However c. Although d. Inspite of
17. Fluctuation in exchange rates causes instability. …….., it makes forecasting more difficult.
a. In addition b. So c. In order that d. So that
18. Producing new software is not necessarily expensive, ……… innovations in computer hardware certainly involve massive costs.
a. where b. whereas c. when d. as
19. Mr. Green , …………..is an experienced businessman is very eager to expand his business in the Middle East.
a. which b. that c. who d. b & c
20. One of the accidents they had was pretty serious. A workman ………..20 feet above the ground when he suddenly fell.
a. was working b. worked c. has been working d. has worked
21. The number of overseas Vietnamese going home ……… by 8.9% this year.
a. increases b. is increasing c. has increased d. increased
22. The Bank’s loan terms are better than those on hire purchase, so I …… ……… the bank loans.
a. am choosing b. had chosen c. was choosing d. will be choosing
23. My boss has come in and ………. you in a few minutes.
a. would see b. has seen c. will see d. is going to see
24. Next week, John is going home for Christmas. He hopes his family ………….. at the airport.
a. will have waited b. have been waiting
c. will be waiting d. are waiting
25. Could you tell Mr. Blake that Mr. Ali is here? He ………. me.
a. will expect b. was expecting c. is expecting d. has expected
Complete each sentence with the correct from of the word in brackets.
26. (BENEFIT) The new salary scheme is ……….to all staff.
27. (COMMERCE) Ho Chi Minh City is the biggest ……. center in the country.
28. (RELATIVE) The risk of investing in durable goods is ……..low.
29. (VARY) Prices have not shown much …………this year.
30. (MANAGE) Good …………should be capable of leading as well as managing.
SECTION 2: Language use (70 marks)
2.1 Choose ONE suitable word for each sentences from the list below (20 marks)
measurable deteriorate goods money factors
payments decrease production capital economy
resources companies value available risk
1. As they ……… easily, perishables must be placed on the market as quickly as possible.
2. Foreign direct investment(FDI) has significantly contributed to the performance of the ……….
3. FDI projects account for 12% of GDP and 35% of industrial ……….
4. More than 2,500 FDI projects have been licensed with a total ……… of 40 billion dollars.
5. Economics studies how society uses its scarce ………… to produce goods and services.
6. Money is used to save for the future; it is a store of ………….
7. Providing capital for a business always involves an element of …………
8. Entrepreneurs control and co-ordinate various ………. of production.
9. The econnomist is only interested in services which are ………… in terms of money.
10. Changes in prices result in changes in the quantity of a particular commodity ………… to consumers.
2.2. Reading comprehension (30 marks)
Read the passage below and then do the tasks that follow
It seems easy to say that you are employed if you work for somebody else and you are self – employed if you work for yourself! But life isn’t quite so simple. Being self-employed is not restricted to people who run their own business, in the physical sense of owning property and stock and perhaps employing their own staff. A great number of people work from home in a wide range of occupations and many of them are classed as self-employed. Examples are the hairdresser who has set up shop in one room of the house, the freelance book-keeper who does the accounts for other small businesses, the woman who holds clothing or Tupperware parties, and the artist who takes on freelance work from various publishing companies.
People who work on a freelance basic “hire out” their skills to anyone who will pay them. A freelance photographer, for instance, may either be contracted to do a specific job for a newspaper or may even take photographs of events on the change that he/she can sell them.
The number of people in Britain who are classed as self-employed rose by 52% between 1981 and 1991 from 2.2 million to 3.3 million people – and most of them work on their own (i.e. they do not employ other people) in many cases these are people who have been faced with redundancy and who have used their savings or their redundancy payments, or taken advantages of one of the government schemes to set up on their own.
Circle the correct answer
11. Which of the following suggestions is a suitable title for the passage?
a. Self – employment b. Employed or self – employed?
c. The UK employment market d. Types of employment
12. A self-employed person
a. has to carry out instructions b. works for several employers
c. is paid a wage or salary d. is own employer
13. The passage suggests
a. The pattern of employment is not varied in the UK
b. If you are in a job, you will have it forever.
c. It is standard practice for many people in the UK to leave school and work for themselves.
d. In the UK people can either have the opportunity or the finances to start in business for themselves
What does each of the following underlined word/phrase refer to?
14. “……..and many of them are classed as self-employed.” (Paragraph 1)
15. “by 52% between 1981 and 1991 from 2.2 million to 3.3 million people – and most of them work on their own.” (paragraph 3)
Which words in the passage mean the following?
17. to classify ………..
18. state of being no longer needed for any available jobs ……..
Fill in each blank with ONE suitable word from the passage
19. ……………..becomes more popular among mothers of young children as they don’t have to work the standard 8 a.m to 5 p.m a day.
20 . Self – employed may ………..other people to help them with their business.
2.3. Writing (20 marks)
Read this invitation card and write a short description of the Book Fair for a brochure
INVITATION TO 2002 BOOK FAIR
Youth Cultural Centre
Exhibition of Books in Vietnamese and foreign languages
Free copies of catalogues
Free use of Internet
Trọn bộ đề thi: LINK